MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Volleyball Coaches Association announced a few details and updates about its All-State Awards process this week.
- The nominations process is now open and ready for your submissions (and has been since mid-September). Typically, these are due in early October, but due simply to sample size, we will extend the nominations through the end of the regular season. Final nominations will be due Sunday, October 18 at 11:59 p.m., however, we highly encourage you to submit as soon as possible. While there may be teams playing regular season matches throughout the tournament series, the nomination form will close prior to the postseason.
- Find the 2020 All-State Nominations form (and almost all other things included in your membership) in your Members Only page (www.wisvca.org/members). Be sure you are logged in at the top right with the SportsEngine account you registered for a membership.
- This year's selection will be incredibly challenging, especially considering the lack of conference crossovers. That said, it is INTEGRAL you update your season record, roster, and individual statistics on MaxPreps ASAP--and continue to keep those updated throughout the season. We highly suggest submitting supporting video (links to school YouTube accounts, etc.) if you have it, which will go directly to your Sectional Reps [see note below]. All-Conference Awards (or lack thereof) is NOT a disqualifier, but can certainly help a player's case. Ultimately we are looking for game-changers, the best-of-the-best, the players opponents need to scout against.
- The selection and awards process may be slightly tweaked for 2020 and is largely dependent upon what a postseason series will look like. Regardless, we remain committed to providing SOME sort of statewide season awards for our student-athletes.
- There will be an offering for All-State honors for those schools playing a spring season. Again, we are not 100 percent sure what that will be, but spring student-athletes will not be left out of a discussion simply because they are playing spring. Coaches playing spring DO NOT need to submit nominations (and probably should not) until their seasons begin. You will have your own period of nominations.
- For the past two seasons, the WVCA has awarded its All-State honors based on schools' divisional placement for the WIAA postseason. That plan is still in place. However, many schools have shifted into new divisions/sectionals/regionals, etc., meaning new Sectional Representation will likely need to be accommodated. That announcement will come when the WIAA finalizes its regional/sectional groupings.
Bear with us as we work through this process--and be on the lookout for more season updates as they come available.